Day two of the 21 Day Sugar Detox (plus the three prep days of reducing sugar I did before) and feeling fabulous. I’ll do a big post – or even a scary vlog – about what I’m eating on this ‘diet’ soon but today I wanted to share what I’m loving for breakfast.
I’m sure the original is fab but I wanted to lessen the eggs and bake miniature versions – what can I say, I’m a volume eater. Any everything’s cuter in miniature form, right?
One thing to bear in mind is that these babies are delicious, but they do get stuck to the paper casing. It is workable but still a bit of a pain. The original recipe notes this so I know I’m not alone, plus a little bit of casing can’t be too bad for you..
You can alleviate this by immediately pulling the cases off when they come out the oven (and risk losing the bottom of your muffin for good) or baking the mixture flat in a lined loaf tray to get fun strips.
I’m not adverse to such things – and they tasted fab – but for me there is nothing better than munching on muffins for breakfast, it just feels so decadent! Especially with some pistachios on the side, yummy.
Since I eat breakfast on the go, I can chuck a load in a tupperware in my bag or stuff them in my face as I skip out the door. They seem to keep really well in the fridge, so you can make a big stash and live off them for ages.
No (added) sugar Apple Streusel Mini Muffins
2 large apples (green if you’re watching sugar super carefully) chopped into small chunks. I’ve always left the skin on but you could take it off too.
2 tablespoons warm water
2 teaspoons cinnamon (or less if you’re not a cinnamon addict like me)
1.5 tablespoons coconut oil
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons almond milk
Pinch of salt
* Pre-heat oven to gas mark 6, 200*C or 400*F
* Chuck the apples into a saucepan, or frying pan, with the warm water and half the cinnamon plus a little coconut oil (half a tbs)
* Cook on a low/medium heat until the apples are nicely softened and look like chunky applesauce
* Transfer the apple mixture into a bowl and leave to cool
* Whisk the eggs, remaining coconut oil, coconut flour, remaining cinnamon, baking soda and almond milk and salt until well combined (no lumpy bits!)
* Add two thirds of your apples and mix until evenly distributed
* Spoon mixture into muffin cakes, about two tbs for each case is lovely
* Dollop the remaining apples onto the muffins – about 1tsp for each muffin is perfect
* Bake at gas mark 6 200*C or 400*F for 30 minutes
* Turn the oven down to gas mark 5, 190*C, 375*F for the remaining 10 minutes.
* Leave to cool before digging in!
Note: If you’re on the 21 Day Sugar Detox, you should only consume four of these to keep to the fruit allocation. I know the original recipe, which is bigger, also says four but as these use the same amount of apples I am guessing the rule should be the same!
* Vlog or no vlog?
It’s a scary prospect and I don’t want to disappoint anyone who envisages me with a super strong Gloucestershire accent but I think it could be fun.
* Is everything cuter in miniature?
Miniature dog, baby animals, miniature tomato ketchup, miniature shower products – I can’t help cooing over them (yes it’s a bit sad haha!)